Welcome to my weekly letter page! I am serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Sacramento, California.

Tuesday, May 21, 2013

92

This week has been just great. Last Monday during zone sports a guy named Dylan was kinda hanging out around the field where we were playing soccer. We invited him to join us and we played and got to know him a little better. He's had a rough childhood and life is challenging for him right now. He plays semi-pro football in Tracy. We invited Dylan to come to our YSA family home evening that night and he showed up! We taught him the next day about the gospel of Jesus Christ and invited him to be baptized on June 8th. He accepted! Actually, he wants to be baptized sooner than that, but the mission's standard is investigators have to attend sacrament meeting at least three times before baptism and Sunday was Dylan's first time. He loved it! He is so excited for his baptism.

Speaking of baptism, Shannon is incredibly prepared for her date of June 8th as well. In one of our lessons with her this week she showed us some of her notes from her Book of Mormon study and told us how she begins by praying, and then opens the book to a random page and reads. Every time it has been an answer to prayers. The scriptures she read have been like scripture masteries! At FHE last night she asked us if nose rings are not allowed (she has a small stud) and I told her that women are encouraged to only wear one in each ear. She said "Ok! I'll start doing that now." and removed the stud right there. Shannon is amazing.

Oh my goodness I still have so much to tell you.

On Friday Bro. Martinez (from my Jackson ward, remember?) traveled ALL THE WAY from Jackson so have dinner with my companion and I in Manteca. That's a long drive and a huge sacrifice, but I was so happy to see him! He is amazing. I shared with him some of the things I said in my testimony at my last zone conference. This week he will be traveling to Utah to be a part of the bible videos that the Church is doing. He's grown out a big 'ol beard for it too. He will definitely look the part :)



Yesterday Sis. Gomm (from my last area, El Dorado) came and dropped off her son, Elder Chris Gomm to work with us for a few hours. Actually, he's not Elder right now. He was serving in the Charlotte NC mission but tore his meniscus in his knee and came home for 6-12 weeks for surgery. He'll go back out but wants to still do missionary work. Ever since I met Bro. and Sis. Gomm I've wanted to meet their son! We have a lot of similarities (love the outdoors, both Recreation majors, love mtn biking, canyoneering, etc). Chris is an amazing missionary. He taught Shannon and Rebecca and a few other investigators with us yesterday. He be coming back down for the baptisms of Shannon and Dylan and hopefully to work with us a few more times before heading back to NC. We're pretty much best friends already. He is a spiritual giant. The picture is Elder Grow and I with Chris Gomm at the temple this morning. (oh yeah, another cool thing that happened this week. Got to see a bunch of my mission buddies at the temple)

So we got transfer calls last night, and I'm staying in Manteca! Elder Grow is leaving and my new companion's name is Elder Stone! I'm pretty sure he only has one transfer left, but I'll tell you more about him next week.

Rebecca is being baptized this Saturday! We are so excited for her. Her and her boyfriend just told us last night that they are engaged! Crazy.

Sorry it's all over the place but a lot has happened. 'Prolly took you a day and a half to read but I hope it's worth it. Love you all!

PS oh and remember Heston?! Elder Finnerty told me that he's getting married to his girlfriend that he just brought into the church! How cool is that?!

--
Elder Chris Andrew
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chris won't be able to reply to comments posted here at this time, so you can send thoughts and replies to:

Elder Christopher Andrew
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628