Welcome to my weekly letter page! I am serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Sacramento, California.

Wednesday, July 4, 2012

46

Yes, preparation day was moved to today for Independence Day. We have an all-day P-day today, and we get to have dinner with Pres. and Sis Lewis and watch the movie "17 Miracles" tonight.
 
It's been a long but great week. On Wednesday morning I got a ride to my new area... the Valley Oaks ward in Stockton! My companion is Elder Gurr (pronounced just like it looks) from Parowan, UT. He is awesome! Definately one of my favorites. He has been out for about 3 months, and I am his follow-up trainer (doesn't really mean anything, I'm just his next companion after his trainer). He is dialed, man. He knows the people, the area, the work so well that he should be training a new missionary right now. I just love him. It's funny to tell people when they ask where we are from that we're both from Southern Utah. He is a big outdoors junkie and is really into motocross. He worked for Brianhead maintaining trails and patroling. He is a really good artist. Loves camping, hiking, everything outdoors. He loves the work and is very obedient. He has caught the vision of his mission.
 
We bike around North Stockton everyday. We've gotten a few flats, and it's really hot in the afternoons, but I enjoy it. We talk to lots of people. We have a large teaching pool and a few investigators are working towards baptism. We are trying to help them choose sooner dates, but the Lord knows what's best for them. My first Sunday in my new area was great; our ward mission leader is great and the members are very generous. All of our investigators that are "firm" (investigators with a baptismal date) attended.
 
Stockton. It just declared bankruptcy a few days ago and it is the largest city in the US to go bankrupt. I think it was rated something like the 10th worst city. I guess that's why we're here. From the hills of my old area you could see the smogg-y haze the overhangs the valley of Stockton and Sacramento. The air quality is terrible, my eyes don't react very well to it. The other day Elder Gurr and I picked up bullet shells from a drive-by. This place is awesome! The population is incredibly diverse, too. Lots of blacks, Cambodians, Europeans, Latinos... everybody. I love working here.
 
Life is good and the work is great! Love you all,

--
Elder Chris Andrew
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chris won't be able to reply to comments posted here at this time, so you can send thoughts and replies to:

Elder Christopher Andrew
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628