Welcome to my weekly letter page! I am serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Sacramento, California.

Monday, October 24, 2011

Week 10

Man, this week has flown. First week of my second transfer! It's been alright. We added a lot of new investigators last week, but they've all flaked on appointments this week and they haven't been home when we've dropped by. I guess that's missionary work.

Elder Yagi got transferred and E. George moved in! He's really tall, from Idaho, and likes to canyoneer and photograph. We hit it off pretty well. He's been all over Zion NP and other slot canyons in Utah. Late nights we talk about the adventures we've had in the desert. He's pretty adventurous. This morning we went exploring in the ravine next to our apartment! We found wild raspberries and a cool creek flowing through the trees. Nature! :) He took some pictures I'm sending.

Scripture that gave me comfort this week: 2nd Nephi 33. We knocked on this black woman's door who was very angry at us and hates the Mormon Church. She tried to convince us that the prophets Joseph Smith and Brigham Young were false prophets and that the Book of Mormon was sent "straight from the pit of hell." She was really angry. The next morning I happened to read this chapter in my Book of Mormon study. I'll share my favorite verses:

But behold, there are many that harden their hearts against the Holy Spirit, that it hath no place in them; wherefore, they cast many things away which are written and esteem them as things of naught.
And it speaketh harshly against sin, according to the plainness of the truth; wherefore, no man will be angry at the words which I have written save he shall be of the spirit of the devil.
11 And if they are not the words of Christ, judge ye—for Christ will show unto you, with power and great glory, that they are his words, at the last day; and you and I shall stand face to face before his bar; and ye shall know that I have been commanded of him to write these things, notwithstanding my weakness.
 14 And you that will not partake of the goodness of God, and respect the words of the Jews, and also my words, and the words which shall proceed forth out of the mouth of the Lamb of God, behold, I bid you an everlasting farewell, for these words shall condemn you at the last day.

Powerful. Needless to say, reading this chapter was an answer to prayers.

On a weird side note, Elder Kaluhiokalani makes "Spam musubis" for lunch sometimes. He fries slices of spam in "oyster-flavored sauce" (don't ask), sprinkles it with sesame seeds and chopped seaweed and then wraps it with rice in sheets of dried seaweed. It sounds gross, but it's pretty good. I wish I was Hawaiian.

My mormon.org profile showed up! Here it is: http://mormon.org/me/5JVZ/
And this is a guy in my ward in El Dorado Hills: http://mormon.org/me/1K72/

I love you! Peace,

--
Elder Chris Andrew
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chris won't be able to reply to comments posted here at this time, so you can send thoughts and replies to:

Elder Christopher Andrew
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628