Welcome to my weekly letter page! I am serving a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints in Sacramento, California.

Monday, October 10, 2011

Week 8

Hey guys! It's been a great week... we had a baptism, my first!

On Tuesday I went to a "New Missionary Meeting." My whole MTC district was there with their trainer and we received training from President and Sister Lewis. They're awesome. It was so good to see all of them again. They all are doing so great. That afternoon I went on splits with one of the AP's (assistants to the president) and tracked a street. He said something that I'll remember for the rest of my mission, that when people close their door or walk away from us, they're not rejecting us, they're rejecting our message of Jesus Christ and His Gospel. He said, "It's going to be hard when I go home and ask a girl out and get shut down... then it's just me they don't like!" Elder Bellingham is an awesome missionary, I don't think he'll get turned down by many girls.

On Wednesday it rained a lot, and a cold front came through. We could see our breath! That was a nice change... the weather lately has been keeping things interesting. And I got letters from the primary! Thank you for your pictures and drawings. And thank you Kerri for sending them with your notes :D

On Thursday our zone combined with the Carmichael zone and had training from Pres. and Sis. Lewis. They've been meeting with each zone individually these past weeks and have been working with them. After the meeting, President Lewis decided to come out with Elder Forster and I to work. Elder Forster had never had that happen before; we were so nervous! We had a lesson with Jody, met with a former investigator, and contacted and tracted (Contact: talking to everyone you see on the street. Tract: knocking doors). President Lewis was awesome; he validated everything we did and said, and brought so much to the lessons. He's like a father to us. I love him.

On Friday, Jody got baptized! We were supposed to have it two weeks ago, but scheduling the font and other issues got in the way. I was all for just going down to the river and doing it there, but it didn't happen :( Jody was so ready. She wanted me to baptize her, although I had only been teaching with her for a few weeks! I was so nervous. I was so nervous that I forgot to say "Amen." at the end of the baptism prayer before I dunked her! That was embarrassing. I had to do it over again. Man, pick the green missionary to do it.... But besides that, it was an incredible baptism. Elder Forster said that it was the most spiritual one he's had, and I believe him. I hear that most investigators aren't like Jody; one day the missionaries were walking around the apartment complex and she came up to him and said, "I want to be baptized." She has sacrificed a lot, and now her baptism has meant a lot. She changed her lifestyle, her habits, and has become a new person. It's been awesome to see the change in her life.

Saturday we attended the baptism of two siblings by the zone leaders, E. Yagi and E. Kalhiokalani (the Hawaiian). That's three for the month of October already! We are working and praying for eight this month... it's take a miracle, but it can be done. The record number of baptism for this zone in one month is eight. We have a lofty goal this month!

In church on Sunday we had the confirmation of Jody. That was a spiritual experience too. She'll do wonderfully in the church.

This morning E. Yagi and I went trail running down by the American River. If I had known about that trail, we'd have been running every morning! It was beautiful. We ran out onto the foot bridge, over the calm water. The water is so clear, and the rocks are so sharp and the birds were singing... it was great. I love the outdoors. Right now it's raining outside. I love it after it rains, the air is so fresh and the mountains in the distance are sharp and clear. Everything is so clean.

Have a great week. I love you!

--
Elder Chris Andrew
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628



NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Chris won't be able to reply to comments posted here at this time, so you can send thoughts and replies to:

Elder Christopher Andrew
California Sacramento Mission
8267 Deseret Ave
Fair Oaks, CA 95628